Procedures During COVID-19 Pandemic
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and out of concern for the safety and health of our staff and customers, we have changed the procedures for interacting with our Planning & Inspections staff:
- The most efficient way to apply for permits is via our Online Permit Center.
- We will not accept walk-in customers. Appointments with staff are available if made 24 hours in advance. Find staff contact information by using our online staff directory.
- If you prefer to drop off hard copies of applications and supporting materials, they must be placed in a drop box located in the Village Hall lobby vestibule. The documents will be quarantined for a minimum of 24 hours before processing by staff.
- Instructions for accessing the drop box: To have the Village Hall lobby vestibule unlocked during business hours, call the front desk staff at 910-295-1900, option 0. Once inside, place your materials in the drop box. Permit applications and plan sets must be folded to fit into the drop box. Do not place rolled plan sets in the drop box. Alternatively, use a jump drive or email plans to the appropriate staff member.
- Cash payments will not be accepted. Payments can be made by credit card (call the front desk at 910-295-1900, option 0) or by a check mailed to us (395 Magnolia Road, Pinehurst, 28374) or left in the dropbox with your materials.
- Permit documents will be mailed or emailed back to the applicants once the permit is issued. For anything that requires a signature, an appointment must be made.
If you would like to speak with a building inspector or a member of our planning staff, please call or email them directly to schedule an appointment, using the contact information below:
- Jamie Reed | email@example.com | 910.295.8661 (Residential permits and zoning questions)
- Scott Thomas | firstname.lastname@example.org | 910.295-8663 (Building inspections)
- Jeff Stout | email@example.com | 910.295.8666 (Building inspections)
- Peter Hughes | firstname.lastname@example.org | 910-295-8659 (Historic Certificates of Occupancy and Floodplain Development)
- Alex Cameron | email@example.com | 910-295-8664 (Commercial Development, Subdivisions, etc.)
Interior Building Inspection Changes in Response to COVID-19
Effective Monday, April 13, 2020 Village of Pinehurst building inspectors will discontinue in-person interior building inspections for occupied commercial and residential properties until further notice. This includes mechanical, hot water heater change outs and any other inspections that require building inspectors to enter the property. These changes are being made in response to the COVID-19 pandemic in order to protect the health of Village staff and public and are consistent with guidance provided by the NC Department of Insurance on the use of Live Remote Inspections.
Building inspections are still required and can be accomplished remotely via live FaceTime, photos, and paper documentation scanned and emailed to Village staff. Any requests for interior building inspections for occupied properties should be submitted through the Village’s Online Permit Center or using the contact information below. You will be contacted by an Inspector if more information is needed and/or to establish a time to perform the remote inspection.
All new construction building inspections will continue to be completed in-person and as scheduled through the Inspection Hotline or Online Permit Center. The Village of Pinehurst requests, however, that no other persons be on site during these inspections.
PLEASE NOTE: Some types of inspections may not be able to be completed by remote inspection, based on assessment of the video call by your inspector. If this happens, the inspector may ask for further documentation from you attesting compliance.
Online Permit Center: https://aca3.accela.com/PINEHURST/Default.aspx
Building Inspection Hotline: 910-295-3192
Chief Building Official: Scott Thomas
Office: 910-295-8666 Mobile: 910-639-5059
Thanks in advance for your cooperation as we navigate through these extraordinary times while trying to maintain the best possible customer service.
The Planning and Inspections Director reports directly to the Assistant Village Manager and serves as a member of the senior leadership team. The Planning Department consists of two Senior Planners, a Planning and Zoning Specialist, a Code Compliance Specialist, and Administrative Assistant. The Inspection Department consists of two Building Inspectors. The Department provides planning services for the Village as well as its extra territorial jurisdictions (ETJ) to preserve and enhance the community’s unique character and ambience.
- Coordinating rezoning, text amendments, and appeals with the Planning and Zoning Board and the Board of Adjustment
Reviewing applications for Certificate of Appropriateness for the Historic Preservation Commission
- Ensuring compliance with the Pinehurst Municipal Code and Pinehurst Development Ordinance
- Reviewing plans for approximately 330 residential projects for zoning compliance annually
- Reviewing 20 commercial development plans on average in the Village and expansion areas
The Planning Department, along with Building Inspections, are located in Village Hall at 395 Magnolia Road and can be reached at (910) 295-2581.
Looking for setback requirements? Click here.
For an overview of the Village's planning and zoning process, download our Guide to Planning and Zoning!