2018 Community and Business Survey Results
This year, Pinehurst residents and businesses expressed high levels of overall satisfaction with Village services in the annual Community and Business Surveys, with residents rating the Village as the highest in the nation in seven separate areas. The Village Council and staff use these survey results to assess the quality of services provided and identify key community priorities of citizens and businesses. These priorities, along with other information, are used to determine areas for potential service level enhancements each year in the Strategic Operating Plan.
Once again, Village residents indicated a positive perception of the Village and that the Village is moving in the right direction, with resident satisfaction levels increasing or remaining the same in 70 of the 80 areas since 2013. In addition, Village residents indicated satisfaction levels above the U.S. average in 50 of the 53 areas and above the Atlantic Regional average in 46 of 53 areas that were compared.
This year, Village resident satisfaction levels were the highest levels in the nation in seven areas among ETC surveyed communities under 50,000 in population:
- 94% satisfaction with the Village as a place to retire
- 91% satisfaction with the Village’s efforts to prevent crime
- 96% satisfaction with curbside recycling services
- 96% satisfaction with residential trash collection services
- 91% satisfaction with yard waste collection services
- 90% satisfaction with maintenance of main Village street thoroughfares
- 68% satisfaction with the effectiveness of Village Manager and appointed staff
High priorities for improvement that were identified in the 2018 Community Survey based on resident importance and satisfaction levels included:
- Efforts at maintaining quality of neighborhoods
- Street and right-of-way maintenance
- Level of involvement in local decisions
The seven-page DirectionFinder® survey was mailed to a random sample of households in the Village and was conducted by ETC Institute of Olathe, Kansas. Residents could complete the 15-20 minute survey by mail, phone, or online. The 906 completed surveys were tallied to produce a 95% confidence level in the results with a margin of error of +/-3.26%.
Jason Morado, Project Manager with ETC Institute, presented the findings of the Community Survey to the Village Council at their September 25th meeting. The 2018 Community Survey results can be viewed online at www.vopnc.org/surveys.
ETC's final Community Survey report includes:
- An executive summary of the major findings and methodology
- Charts and graphs for each question on the survey
- GIS maps showing results as neighborhood maps of the Village
- Benchmarking data showing how Village results compare to other communities
- Importance-satisfaction analysis
- Tables that show the results for each question on the survey
- A copy of the survey instrument
This year, businesses indicated high levels of satisfaction with the various perceptions of the Village with 100% satisfied with the overall feeling of safety, 99% satisfied with the overall quality of life, and 97% satisfied with the overall image of the Village. Businesses also indicated high levels of satisfaction with the vast majority of Village services with 96% of businesses indicating the overall quality of services meets or exceeds their expectations. In addition, 88% of businesses would likely recommend the Village as a business location.
The four-page survey was mailed to businesses in the Village and 75 completed surveys were included in the final survey results. The 2018 Business Survey results can be viewed online at www.vopnc.org/surveys.
Overall, Pinehurst residents and businesses have expressed high levels of satisfaction with the services provided by Village staff as they continuously seek ways to improve and enhance service levels. The Village Council and staff will use the key community priorities identified in the 2018 survey results, along with other information, to determine areas for potential service level enhancements in the upcoming annual strategic planning process.
For questions, contact Performance Management Director Lauren Craig at 910-295-1900 or firstname.lastname@example.org.