The Streets and Grounds Division of the Public Services Department operates under the direction of the Assistant Director of Public Services. There are 15 members of the Streets and Grounds team, including an
Infrastructure Superintendent. This division serves approximately 15,760 residents encompassing an area of 14.9 square miles.
- Maintaining approximately 107 miles of paved streets (Village roads)
- Maintaining directional, roadway, and regulatory signs
- Periodically assisting Solid Waste Division
- Maintaining 17,155 linear feet of pedestrian walkways
- Maintaining/improving sidewalks and other public landscape areas
- Collecting metal goods
- Maintaining approximately 25 lane miles of NCDOT roads in the Village
The Streets and Grounds Division is located at 700 McCaskill Road East and can be reached at (910) 295-5021 between the hours of 7:00 am and 3:30 pm.
The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) is responsible for maintaining Highway 5, Highway 15-501, Highway 211, Linden Road, Midland Road/Highway 2, Page Road, and Morganton Road. If you have questions or concerns regarding the right-of-ways and paving or patching of these roads, please contact the Carthage office of NCDOT at (910) 947-2233. NCDOT is also responsible for the plantings at the traffic circle. If you have questions or concerns regarding these, please contact NCDOT at the Aberdeen office at (910) 944-2344.
The Village has limited resources for snow/ice removal. Therefore, snow/ice removal is prioritized by first, second, and third level priority streets. First priority streets are major arteries; second priority streets are residental through streets; and third priority streets are cul-de-sacs.