The Historic Preservation Commission recommends design standards and guidelines for the Local Historic District to the Village Council. The Commission recommends areas to be designated in the Local Historic District to Village Council; and individual structures, buildings, sites, areas, or objects to be designated as Historic Landmarks. They also review and act upon requests for major work requiring a Certificate of Appropriateness (COAs) for alterations, demolitions, or new construction within the historic district. The Historic Preservation Commission also prepares and recommends the preservation element of the Village Comprehensive Long Range Plan.
- Undertake an inventory of properties of historical, architectural, and/or cultural significance.
- Recommend to the Village Council areas to be designated by ordinance as “Historic Districts”; and individual structures, buildings, sites, areas, or objects to be designated by ordinance as “Landmarks."
- Acquire by any lawful means the fee or any other lesser included interest, including options to purchase, to properties within established districts or any other such properties designated as landmarks, to hold, manage, preserve, restore, and improve the same, and to exchange or dispose of the property by public or private sale, lease or otherwise, subject to covenants or other legally binding restrictions which will secure appropriate right to public access and promote the preservation of the property.
- Restore, preserve, and operate historic properties.
- Prepare and recommend the official adoption of a preservation element as part of the Village Comprehensive Long Range Plan.
- Review and act upon proposals for alterations, demolitions, or new construction with historic districts, or for the alteration or demolition of designated landmarks, pursuant to this Section.
- Recommend design guidelines to the Village Council.